Friday, April 29, 2011

One upside of the dorms

As I get ready to say goodbye (Sayonara, Bon Voyage, Adios, Ariva Dirche, Ciao, Auf Wiedersehen) to the dorms, I would like to commemorate and credit my black friends next door for influencing my ever-expanding ebonic lexicon. Here are a few terms I have come to learn from my converse with Brionna and Threasa: 




1.) Home trainin [hohm-trey-nin’] – showing respect to someone else's personal space or property. 
                         Synonyms: manners, etiquette, class.
                 Ex: "I can’t believe she ate my last Oreo. Where’s her home training?" 

2.)Ratchet- all bad, looking/acting/doing dirty things
                Ex: "I woke up late for class and had to go looking all ratchet."

3.) Getting chose- gaining attention, often times leading to being asked on a date.
                Ex: "Dang girlfriend, you're looking good tonight. You're totally                            gun get chose."

4.) Triffling- unexcused, disgusting, things that should not be done
               Ex: "I stalked her Facebook and saw she wore glasses to prom.                             That girl is triffling."

5.) The business-[biz-nis], (sometimes also pronounced [biz-nass] when emphasizing excitement)- a way to refer to something that has got it going on 
Synonyms: awesome, great, high quality
                 Ex: "That fried chicken with barbecue sauce was the business."

6.) Out the house- a status that should or should not be obtained depending on appearance
                 Ex: "He's average looking. But, you can definitely take him out the house." 

7.) Jank- broken, ruined, used, substandard quality, sketchy, questionable
                Ex: "I got soaked walking to class because of this jank umbrella."

8.)Peac(-ing, -ed out)-  the act of leaving, usually abruptly or unannounced
                Ex: "We're probably peacing pretty soon. This party is lame."

9.) Crawling- unsanitary, filthy, dirty, gross
              Ex: "I can't believe she leaves her toothpaste in here without                             the cap on. This bathroom is crawling." 



Also, they sleep in these pretty silk head wraps because cotton pillowcases are bad for their weaves.  These cool looking "wrap caps" to keep their hurr looking fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment